Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Should We Have ONE Certification Organization for Doulas?

There’s been some talk lately (nothing new really) about having one national organization for certifying doulas. While it seems like it could be a nice idea, I have some concerns.

First, the good…

In terms of recognition, one doula organization could do some great things. Marketing and awareness for the consumer could be broadened. Recognition in media outlets may increase. We may gain respect as an industry – think of the recognition achieved by being an IBCLC as opposed to a lactation educator, etc.

Recognition for the consumer would be wonderful. With more women aware of doula care, it’s certainly possible many more women would be interested in exploring this in their own birth. If I fully embrace my idealist side, I’d even go so far as to say birthing practices would change en masse and we may see a turnaround in our cultural birth practices.

However, I think have one organization would certainly have some negatives. These negatives have the potential of out-weighing the positives.

Personally, I’m hoping to begin doula certification within the year. I’ve gone back and forth about doula organizations to certify with throughout my pursuit of this career. There is the possibility of doing a DONA training in our area in the fall; otherwise, I’m generally looking at doing distance learning or traveling three hours or more.

However, I’ve never been totally comfortable with certifying through DONA. I’ve had it recommended to me many times before (I’ve even blogged about deciding to certify with them). But it seems to be such an impersonal organization. I don’t want to join an organization simply because it is “premier,” (which is very true of DONA, and I certainly respect that), but there needs to be something more. Maybe I’m missing something, and more consideration will certainly follow before I make any decisions.

That little tangent discussion of DONA will be relevant later; I’ll come back.

I think for some, the biggest issue with having one certifying organization would be in the possible restrictions placed on its members. Most commonly, the restriction doulas complain about is involving “free birth” or unassisted birth. For me personally, I’m not sure I agree with having a doula (a trained support professional) at an unassisted birth, and I’m not sure I would take a client planning unassisted birth. However, there are doulas who would like to serve women and families in such capacity (I can think of one I know personally who is skilled in this area). And I think they should be allowed to do so (and encouraged! If you have such expertise and feel called to serve in such a way: do it!!)

I’m a little concerned that having one doula certifying organization would in some way “medicalize” the profession. Doulas are non-medical professionals, and I feel they should remain so. Doulas who are student midwives/midwives’ assistants walk a fine balance, and I don’t know how they juggle the two. But for the majority of doulas who are not in that situation, medicalization would harm the profession. I’d be afraid of “protocols” and “standard practice” and other such generalized guidelines that might interfere with the personalized care doulas are “famous” for. Doulas are uniquely available to hands-on at all times, without having to stop and chart or do a particular procedure. While many doulas do chart their notes, they typically wait until the birth is finished and the family is settled before hurriedly scribbling.

I’m not saying that I am afraid a certifying organization would begin to require doulas to do medical tasks. However, I do think that unfortunately some families already feel that doulas are part of the medical team, particularly in assisting the midwife. This assumption may cause them to not look further into the possibility of doula care. So many believe that doulas are only for homebirth, possibly stemming from that assumption of assisting the midwife.

So what should be done?

I honestly don’t know.

Back to my concern about DONA, one of the great benefits of the current situation in having multiple organizations is that there are many different philosophies. A common piece of advice for new doulas trying to pick a certifying organization is to “see which philosophy fits you best.” Losing this could be detrimental to the profession.

It also allows some to study and become experts in doula care and choose not to certify. There are a number who go this route, and they should be allowed to continue to do so. I think that families are able to interview doulas and decide for themselves who best to serve them, whether or not they are certified. I would be concerned that simply one organization would attempt to push out “rouge” and “uncertified” doulas.

Me, I’m choosing to certify. I do think that for me, especially among nursing professionals, having certification will be one step in showing my skills. But for all the other doulas out there, I don’t know that any one person/organization should be making that same call.

How do you feel?

1 comment:

  1. Hi amber,

    My name is Jamie. I'm interested in chatting with you about your doula business and certification. I'm from
    Ripely and just recently moved back here from Columbus. I got into the doula thing while there but haven't certified yet. Will be possibly in sept. Please email me(jamieturner06@gmail.com) and I'll give you my number so we can chat that way if it's easier.
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete