Thursday, June 3, 2010

Certifying Organizations for Labor Doula - A Dilemma

Had a good conversation with a dear friend the other night about certifying as a doula and childbirth educator. I’ve been putting off certification primarily due to monetary issues – we just can’t afford to put me in a program right now.

But I’ve also put off certification because I’ve had trouble deciding which organization to go with.

Initially, when we could afford it, I was going to certify through DONA. The closest course was in Toledo, so I was going to drive the six or so hours, in February. Before I signed up and paid my down payment, I found I was pregnant. Driving to Toledo in February while pregnant is simply a bad idea.

While I was pregnant, I discovered CAPPA and liked that organization pretty well. CAPPA also seemed to offer trainings a big closer to home, so I began to concentrate my planning in that direction.

Then I stumbled across Childbirth International, which is still my favorite organization for a variety of reasons. Overall, I think their program is very thorough; it’s been described as a mini-midwifery course. I like it that the course is entirely distance based and offers a variety of payment plans. I appreciate that I’m not required to become a member of any organization or maintain that membership in order to keep my certification. Once I’m certified, that’s it – doula for life.

My only problem – Childbirth International is just not nearly as well know as some of the other organizations – think DONA and CAPPA.

So, back to the conversation with my friend, a midwife who practiced in our area before it was time for a family move. I trust her judgment in the birthing business. We talked about area midwives for me down the road when my husband and I are ready for another and the conversation of course turned to me becoming a doula.

“K---, I’m going to just go ahead and put my services out there as a doula and childbirth educator. I feel I’m ready even though I’m not yet certified. But I do want to be certified on down the road. Who do I go with?”

Almost before the question was out of my mouth, her reply – “DONA.”

She had good reason – if my aim for certification is so that I have more client recognition, then I should certify with the most well know organization. Otherwise, why certify? I’ve done so much self-study, and have personal experience, that I don’t need certification in order to get the basics needed to begin attending and providing my services at births.

(I do, just to be clear, feel that all doulas should keep learning and studying, even after certification. A good doula is always adding to her knowledge.)

My friend agreed that Childbirth International has a great program, but that the problem of being less well-known is a factor to be considered.

So I guess I’m back to where I started – DONA. Spent part of the morning downloading the certification information to read through. (Also downloaded the information for ICEA’s childbirth educator and to become a board certified lactation consultant. Aim big.)

Now if we can just get the money together, I’ll be content to drive to Charlotte or Cleveland or D.C. I just want to help women as they’re birthing babies!

BTW: What do you all think? I’m content with DONA’s program, but really like what I’ve seen of Childbirth International. Do I go with recognition anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment