Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Book Review: When You Were Inside Mommy

Usually book reviews on blogs are for newer books, but when I came across this one, I felt all moms needed this for their children. My son is participating in the Kanawha County Public Library’s summer reading program and this is one of the books we read this week.

This book is very simple and straight-forward. It has lovely illustrations of a young family with their new son.


But the best thing about this book is the way it’s written. It’s from the point of view of the child’s mother. My favorite thing is that it uses the correct terms for pregnancy. The child is told that he grew inside mommy’s uterus or womb. He was fed and got air from his umbilical cord. Simple really, except when my seventh graders last year didn’t know there was such thing as an umbilical cord.


The book talks about how Mommy and Daddy waited and waited until “the muscles of her womb started squeezing.” Then they knew this was the time. How beautiful that this baby was worth waiting for!


The baby is born in a hospital (my own complain, but it is true of most births so I’ll give her that), coming out of “a special opening in her body that can stretch wide.” Love this!


I think this book is a must for basic pregnancy education for any child; we plan on buying my little man a copy.


I believe it’s never to early to start talking to your kids about pregnancy and childbirth. Remember this is a normal part of life and treat it as such. It’s nothing to hide or tell kids that you’ll “tell them when they’re older.” Start now and they’ll understand it’s all normal and beautiful, not scary or dirty.


If you’re in the Kanawha County library system, you can check the book out there. I got mine at the Cross Lanes branch, but you can always request it!


However, I just think you should buy it – here:
Amazon.com - When You Were Inside Mommy

Just as a note – I have no connection with this book. I just felt that all women should know about this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment