Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Preventing ALL Death and Injury?

I’m currently reading Denis Walsh’s Evidence-based Care for Normal Labour and Birth. In my reading this week, I was struck by the chapter called “Fetal Heart Monitoring in Labour.” I understand that fetal heart monitoring is not proven beneficial, though it continues to be in widespread practice. I was familiar with much of the information presented, but the following reference caught me off guard.

Walsh discusses a number of studies and reviews throughout the book, and in this particular case, the review being discussed brings up one (of many) possibly disadvantages for continuous electronic fetal monitoring. Walsh quotes directly, as will I, the following: “[it] shifts staff focus and resources away from the mother and may encourage a belief that all perinatal mortality and neurological injury can be prevented.” (Reference below).

Can I just stop and say “WOW”?

Of course, it makes perfect sense. This attitude is pervasive in western culture. All death should be prevented until natural causes in old age. All other death is negligent and/or preventable by future technologies.

Again, WOW.

I come from this culture of course, and I struggle constantly with the idea. Late last year, my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer. His prognosis was very good: he was (and is) in excellent health, and it was caught very early. He had surgery and has thus far done well without any other treatment.

My mother, of course, panicked with this diagnosis. Current research suggested to her that even with surgery and complete removal of the tumor, it only extended my dad’s life expectancy ten years. She was distraught.

Let’s put the above in perspective. This year, my dad will be 66. Ten years is 76. My dad (due to good health) probably had a previous life expectancy of 80.

Was surgery helpful? Certainly. Would my dad have died sooner without it? Yes, probably. He has a genetic risk for prostate cancer, so his cancer was likely vigorous. Does he have cancer now? Nope, not as far as we can tell.

Should my mom still be concerned about his life expectancy? Nope, not in my opinion. He will die eventually anyway.

That’s heartless sounding of course, but it’s true. Some of us will die from cancer. If we cure cancer, it’s likely some will die of other causes, beyond the “natural.”

My point is, as a culture, we are terrified of death. We string ourselves out at the end of life, struggling for each breath in some sterile hospital, without being allowed to die in dignity and grace surrounded by family and friends at home.

Unfortunately, birth is no different. Birth is a symbolic act of life beginning in another (though I would argue the life began long before, it just needed constant care in a different environment before birth). It is logical that once life begins, it will certainly eventually end. And as much as we would like to, many times we cannot prevent it, not should we.

I do not believe there will ever be a time when NO women and NO babies die in childbirth. That would be like saying there will never be any more SIDS or miscarriages. As tragic as these things are, they happen. They are a part of the life cycle.

Therefore, we need (as much as possible considering the culture we’ve been raised in) to attempt to lose this idea of preventing all perinatal mortality and injury. It will likely never happen. Our focus should be on healthy normal childbirth so we can recognize when it goes astray. When it goes astray from normal, we should focus on doing what we can, WITHOUT CAUSING FURTHER INJURY OR HARM to either the baby or the mother. After that, we should focus on supporting and counseling the family through a difficult life event.

Reference: Alfirevic, Z., Devane, D. and Gyte, G. (2006) Continuous cardiotocography (CTG) as a form of electronic fetal monitoring (EFM) for fetal assessment during labour. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Issue 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment