Friday, December 16, 2011

Muscle Rub Liniment

As part of my on-going herbal course, I decided one of my formulations should be a muscle rub for that post-run soreness.

I used a formulation I found in my studies from Herbal Healing for Women by Rosemary Gladstar. She calls it a “Goldenseal/Myrrh Liniment.” I altered it slightly, to meet my needs.

I began by mixing the four powders it called for. (Amounts are in the text, and for copyright and respect, I will not list them here.) I bought my herbs from Mountain Rose Herbal, and highly recommend them. These are the herbs used: Echinacea Purpurea, Cayenne, Goldenseal Leaf, and Myrrh Gum.



I mixed the ingredients in a pint-sized canning jar, and they filled very little of it.



Finally, I filled the entire jar with 100 proof Vodka.


I gave the jar a good stirring until it seemed all the powders were well dissolved. 

I then let it sit for a few weeks. 

Overall, I was pretty happy with it's use. It's certainly messy, and even stains a little (I used a rag/washcloth to rub into my calves), but the massage alone helps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment