Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Update on Life


Yes I know, the blog has been quite quiet. And I’m sorry about that.

And I’m not sure it’ll get better any time soon.

Today I go for my second nursing orientation, and I start classes August 22. The program is a 2-year RN, so needless to say, I’ll be very busy with school for awhile. Each semester has three nursing classes, five weeks a piece, one right after another. Each semester except the last I’ll have a couple of additional classes: Anatomy, Physiology, etc. that will keep me busy. I’ll also be tutoring this year and am considering a nursing externship for later seniority in the local system. Last spring I took Nutrition, Math Reasoning, and Life Span Development. Over the summer I crammed and took Microbiology and Chemistry. I’m thankful I did so, as it’ll certainly help me coming workload.

So, where does this leave Healthy Mama Childbirth?

I’m still here, but I will probably not be taking any doula clients for the time being. I’ve found that as I look at EDD and on-call times, I don’t feel that I’d be able to provide the support necessary to be a good doula. I’m saddened as I turn down clients, but I know that it is best so they can get the support needed in this area.

I am still taking childbirth education clients and will be offering another Prepared Childbirth Series in the fall. I also still take private clients for flexible scheduling and course offerings.

I plan this year to begin lactation-related education online in preparation for the Pathway 1 IBCLC exam requirements. I had considered IBCLC previously, but thought it out of my reach since I wasn’t in the healthcare field. However, now as I find myself in nursing school, it’s back on the table for consideration. I’m also hoping in the near future to go through doula certification, though it’s certainly on hold until I can take clients. I’ll still be available to local doulas as a backup and hope to continue to be active in the local birth community.

I’m also honored to be the chapter leader of our local ICAN – ICAN of Greater Charleston WV. Please visit http://ICANGreaterCharlestonWV.weebly.com for more information about meetings.

As for the blog, I’m leaving it open, but please understand that I have little time at the moment to really devote to entries. I’ll do entries as the mood takes me (I hope), but regular updates – which were not often as it was – cannot be expected.

:-D Much love and happy birthing!

No comments:

Post a Comment