Monday, November 8, 2010

Another Care Provider in Pregnancy - Chiropractor

I was unfortunate enough this weekend to pull out my back again (and follow that up with church nursery), so I was at the chiropractor's today. It reminded me of when I pulled my back out during pregnancy, so I thought I'd share.

I feel there is no reason a pregnant woman should have to deal with "regular" backaches during pregnancy. We all act like this is totally normal, but it isn't. 

Backache during pregnancy is easily treated (or at least managed) by a chiropractor. I pulled my back during the second trimester. Once it was remedied with a few trips to the chiropractor, I had no more back pain the rest of the pregnancy - even putting on those fifty pounds. (And reminder, I'm only 5'2"!)

Chiropractic care in pregnancy will help return your body to proper alignment. A good chiropractor will also help you with posture and sleeping positions that will help your body to stay pain free. The adjustments aren't painful.
At the start of the injury, you may find yourself at the chiropractor's office a few times the first couple of weeks. This is pretty normal as your body takes the time to settle into the new alignment. The chiropractor will then start to spread your visits out more. After my back was feeling great, I saw the chiropractor once a month as a check-up and slight adjustment. 

I recommend pregnant women not wait until the injury is severe, or even until there is an "injury." Back pain should be looked into immediately if possible to lessen the number of adjustments needed for health.

See a good chiropractor that you feel you can trust. It's preferable (in my opinion) that you see one who has an in-house massage therapist or two; massage helps the adjustments settle in and take hold rather than moving back into the painful position. 

Also, see a chiropractor who is experienced with pregnant patients. A good chiropractor will tell you if they are or not. When I was going to have the Webster technique (a chiropractic technique to assist in turning a breech baby), my chiropractor told me that while he was trained in it and comfortable seeing pregnant women for other therapies and adjustments, he hadn't done the Webster technique since college. He helped me find someone in the area who was trained and experienced in the technique - and I respect him greatly for being honest with me and helping me. 

You might be surprised that your insurance will usually cover chiropractic care. My current insurance, as well as the insurance I had while pregnant, cover up 20 visits a year with my co-pay. You may want to check with your insurance to see if these visits need to be preauthorized, or ask the chiropractor's office staff when you call to make an appointment.

Please feel free to contact me if you'd like to see a chiropractor in the Charleston, WV area. I've seen a few and am happy to recommend them! I have no affiliation with any offices other than being a satisfied client.

No comments:

Post a Comment