Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Research regarding heparin in pregnancy

Had to do a quick post on this because I am very excited!

As you all know, I had a stroke at 20. In the following months, I underwent a lot of bloodwork and tests to attempt to determine the cause. In the absence of any other risk factors, it appears that chronic migraines and birth control pills were the cause. (Did you know that chronic migraines in women increase the stroke risk? I didn’t.) I tested negative for every single known clotting disorder.

However, I was still on prophylactic heparin during pregnancy and post-partum. I don’t mind the shots; you get used to them. I mind that it forced me into OB care. (Prophylactic – giving a medication or treatment as a preventative or just in case. It’s not treating any problems already there; it’s simply trying to prevent them.)

I just found a slew of articles against prophylactic heparin therapy during pregnancy!

I’m not pregnant again (yet), but I am so excited to have these at my disposal. I wonder where they were two years ago when I needed them and searched and searched. But I’m sure glad to have them now.

Links:
Thrombophilia and pregnancy complications: cause or association? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17635737


No comments:

Post a Comment